Saturday, January 2, 2010

masala chai

after being out and about for 4 hours running errands and indulging in a mani/pedi, i was pretty much frozen. after all, it was only 16 degrees out there! i was bound and determined to have some hot tea when i got home.

as you are all aware, i am crazy about tea. i especially love a good cup of masala chai yet i've never made it from scratch at home. today i remedied that situation and let me tell you, it is fantastic.

masala chai recipe
(serves 4)

4 whole cloves
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom (or 1 cardamom pod)
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

crush (or break as in case of cinnamon stick) above ingredients and put into a saucepan
add 3 cups water
bring to a boil - remove from heat - let steep for 5 minutes
add 1 cup milk
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar (or more if you like your tea sweeter)
bring to a boil -remove from heat
add 3 bags of black tea (i used darjeeling but can substitute ceylon) - cover and let steep for 3 minutes
stir - strain - enjoy!!

i ground my fresh black pepper from my beautiful new pylones russian girl pepper mill (isn't she adorable?! ok, so she's my new favorite kitchen gadget!

18 comments:

kylie grethen said...

ok first of all, that pepper mill is so adorable! but second, you read my mind! was just looking up recipes for chai today. do you think i could use rice milk and agave? am trying to not have dairy/white sugar...or do you think that will take all of the fun out of it?!

Melita said...

she was a bit pricey but i couldn't resist her! i did use organic milk & organic sugar but i absolutely think you could use rice milk and agave. i may try that to mix it up at some point as i have some agave on hand. let me know how it goes if you try it. hugs!!

City Girl said...

The pepper mill is SO cute. And homemade chai really is lovely :)

Kiki said...

I am crazy about Pylones! Ever since I discovered their shop in Paris, I've been a fiend for them - just going into one of their UK shops (inexplicably known as Octopus) makes me happy.

And yes - you can absolutely use agave nectar to make chai. Personally, I think it works better than sugar. Thanks for the terrific recipe!

Donica Christina said...

Ah! Your kitchen gadget IS the cutest.

Eco Yogini said...

very cool!! I am not a fan of chai tea, but how much is it that you made yours from scratch?? :)

ps- peppermill definitely a keeper :)

TheAnalyst said...

Cute peppermill! The chai sounds tasty! I've been sipping lots of tea too, due to the chilly temps and loads of snow here!

noodlegirl said...

I Luvvvvv the pepper mill oh too cute! I bought something similar looking but its only for decor at a church ramage sale.

I love chai!! Its not cold here but I crave it too!!

Connie said...

YOU are so freaking awesome! I LOOOOVE chai tea, but have never had the guts to try to make my own. You inspire me!! Hold me to it--ok--I'm going to make my own this month!!

Peace & Love.

svasti said...

Happy New Year and what a wonderful post! Love a good cuppa chai. Often make it at home but not from scratch. Love using raw honey instead of sugar (added once the brew is off the heat).

And I am seriously in love with your pepper shaker ;)

Rebecca said...

We MUST get together - I LOVE chai, definitely have to give this recipe a try!

Revisionista said...

the chai sounds delish! thanks for the recipe!!

hope your 2010 continues to be fabulous :)

kimberly wilson said...

yummy! sounds divine. thanks for sharing. happiest of new years to you. xo

Grammy said...

Oh I love the pepper mill too. Is is cold here in Missouri too. And the snow is still coming down lightly. I just stopped by to wish you a great new year.

Lynne from NY said...

Happy New Year and thanks for the recipe, I will try it tonite while listening to Kimberly's teleclass!

Now, did you order the pepper mill online? I don't understand French :(
She is so cute, must have!

Carolyn said...

Yummmm that looks divine!!

mina said...

wow. i love chai but i've never though of making it myself. i'm totally going to try it when i get the chance.

Sasa said...

I love your recipe for Chai!! I have the exact same mug with the scooter ~ My Journey Begins Today. It's my favorite mug! I think I got in on sale at Starbuckes a while ago. It Rocks and so do you!