Wednesday, April 1, 2009

blogging about blogging


i'm always trying to think of things to blog about to keep my readers interested. i entered the blogosphere less than a month ago. i gotta say, i'm hooked. i really enjoy blogging. i'm slowly getting the hang of things, but i am enjoying the journey. i do have two blogs (the one you are currently reading and my morgantown musings which is a blog about my take on what happens in morgantown, wv, where i currently live. i'm hoping to be able to expand the morgantown blog into a column in the local paper, such as a food critic column or just a 30-somethings take on live in morgantown. still, please check it out!). something to help me out with the blogging world (that i am so excited for) is a blogging e-course by renowned blogger of all things beautiful, holly over at decor8.

i enjoy reading blogs as much as i enjoy writing on my own. here are some of the blogs that visit (at least) once a day: tranquility du jour, yogadiva's divine life, naturally nina, kelly rae, made by girl, decor8, city girl lifestyle, hang on little tomato, along for the ride, mindful mindy's musings, and blujaystudio to name just a few. these are among my favorite blogs. luckily i have pageflakes to keep up with all of the blogs i read. pageflakes is an rss reader so that anything that has an rss feed, you can add it. and let me tell you, mine has added up!! multiplied at this point i think! :) if anyone has another rss readers (besides google reader, which i also have) let me know. thanks.

as my boyfriend, ryan, and i were going home yesterday evening (after our bellies were stuffed from yummy indian food) i was mentioning my blogs to him. (he helps me with all the pics i take and he's my IT guy, i'm so lucky to have him). i posed a question to him that i had never really thought of in detail before. i asked where did the word BLOG actually come from. he said he really had no idea and neither did i. let's just say that the internet and wikipedia are wonderful things.

according to good old merriam webster, a blog is "a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer ; also : the contents of such a site." and according to wikipedia, a blog is "(a contraction of the term weblog) is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video." my definition of blog is a way to express yourself and your ideas and read about others doing the same. and besides, it's just plain fun! so to all you bloggers out there, keep on blogging! thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas with the rest of the world.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog - and great post! Go you for maintaining two blogs :) I really hope your Morgantown Musings turns into something with the local paper - what a great way to work towards that :)

The Depressed Yogi said...

Doooood i am loving those two pics!! Where did you find??

Also thanks for the shout-out :-) I'm excited to see where your bloggin adventures lead you and to hear all about the blogging e-course!

Melita said...

carolyn - i went to google and searched "blog" in the images search lol. those two were the only good ones :)

Unknown said...

Added you to my blogroll btw :) And definitely want to hear more abou tthe e-course.

Melita said...

city girl - thank you, that means a lot to me :) i will definitely keep you all posted on the blogging e-course!!

Kirsten said...

Thanks for reading by blog - I check yours daily too. Blogging is a nice outlet for me. Looking forward to hearing about the e-course.

Ryan said...

Great to see that you've shed some light (for me at least) on the etymology of the word blog. I'm thrilled to do what little "IT work" actually needs to be done. Most of this is you and it comes out great. I love you.

Leslie said...

Thank you so much for mentioning my blog. I am Honored to be included on a list of such wonderful blogs! I, too, read quite a few of the same blogs daily.

Namaste'

Emily Anne Carson said...

You are so lovely! What a great post. A celebration of all things BLOG. :) Hope your day has been terrific.

Melita said...

thank you so much for all of your sweet comments! it literally makes my day to read them. :)